Danika!

Thursday, August 31, 2006

About my names

Everyone I've met calls me in numerous ways. Preciosa, bella, linda, gorgeous, cutie, etc etc. But I think I recognize my name and midle name becuase they are different and sound very special when my parents and grandparents call me that. I did some research and found the meaning of them all........and, to top it all, I was also given a chinese name to follow tradition!

Dánika is an ancient slavic name meaning "Morning Star". This is cool because I was born at 4:30 in the morning. The way it's pronounced is with an accent in the first A....or Dah-neeka. Croatians, serbians, czechs, slovaks and slovenians use it a lot. Most famous Danikas or Danicas is indy car racer Danika Patrick and a 2006 movie starring Marisa Tomei is called "Danika". Also, in 2005, it was ranked as the 605th most popular name in the U.S.

Isabella is an Italian name meaning "Consecrated to God". Isabella is another cool name with an awesome meaning. I will probably be baptized in less than 2 months! Italians use this name the most while other latin countries use it with various variations. To pronounce it right, put an accent in the E. Famous Isabellas include actress Isabella Rosellini, and Queen Isabella I of Castille, Spain. A 2006 Hong Kong Movie by Pang-Heu Cheung starring Isabella Leung is also called "Isabella".

Since I am part chinese, it is tradition to have my akun (Grandfather in cantonese) name me. Him and my aunt Abik came up with a list of names and he finally named me when I was born. In Chinese, the last name goes first, a middle name or generational name goes second, and my actual name goes last. My name in cantonese is: Chuy Chii Yen. Chuy means walking slowly with a purpose. Chii means wisdom, learning and intellect. while Yen means precious stone, treasure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home